Seeking interns to join our team!
Astoria Performing Arts Center was founded in 2001, and is devoted to providing award-winning professional theater to audiences in Western Queens, in addition to annual community performance programs for students and seniors. We produce two mainstage productions yearly under the Equity Showcase Code, and have been hailed by the New York Times for providing “adventurous theatre in Astoria.” Our professional productions often include revivals of rarely seen musicals and world premiere plays; our annual community programs include Playmaking, an afterschool playwriting program; Summer Stars, a free performance program for Queens residents ages 8-13; and Senior Stars, a performance program for Queens residents ages 60 and above. Our offices are located in Kaufman Astoria Studios, in the heart of Astoria’s Kaufman Arts District, and our theatre is located in the Good Shepherd United Methodist Church.
An internship at APAC is designed by the intern and the executive director and is based on the intern’s interests and career goals. Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Support the Executive Director in various areas of theater administration.
- Assist with company management duties and be present at select rehearsals and performances of mainstage productions.
- Assist with the production of community programs such as Playmaking, Senior Stars, or Summer Stars.
- Drafting of social media content such as tweets, Facebook updates, and blog entries.
- Assist with maintenance of our audience database.
- Literary management.
- Research prospects for foundation, corporate, and individual giving opportunities.
- Attend strategy meetings.
- Draft and proofread written materials such as marketing collateral, correspondence, or contracts.
- Assist with physical production of mainstage shows.
- Other projects as they arise based on intern interests
- Passion for theater and the performing arts.
- Interest in pursuing a career in theatre production or arts administration.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a small team environment.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Graduate or undergraduate student in theater or related field.
Internships are unpaid, but we will work with you to help secure college credit. To apply, please send resume and cover letter indicating area(s) of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.